So, what does voting with your dollar mean? Spending and investing your money is a powerful way of voting each day to support local communities, fair wages, and a healthy planet. Where you shop and what you buy sends a direct message to help business owners.
- Another powerful action is keeping your money in your wallet and not buying what you don’t need. Every dollar you don't spend, is a dollar you can put in a community bank or credit union, where your dollars will be used to finance jobs, housing and social services that every community needs. Or, it can be donated to a charity that is taking action on climate change and other existential crisis. Also, the money you use to buy necessities, treat yourself, or spend on gifts for others is a vote cast for your values.
- Every time you buy at a local business, you tell the world your community is worth more than a big-box store sale.
- Every time you buy organic, you tell the world you want more farmers to grow healthy, safe food.
- Every time you buy certified fair trade, you fight poverty.
- Every time you buy from a business owned by women or people of color, you help build an inclusive economy.
- Every time you don’t buy something, you tell the world you don’t need more stuff to have a good life.
- If you love animals, get vetted to help at a local shelter or help with pet adoptions.
- To help our environment, plant a garden, compost, share plants or seeds, help keep parks and playgrounds clean, use less concrete and more natural landscape designs.
- Help fight hunger and homelessness by donating used clothing and non-perishable food or volunteering at a local food bank or organization for helping others.
- To help education, donate books and unused school supplies, volunteer for adult education programs or join a PTA to have your voice heard at school board meetings or on school committees.
- HELP the elderly by signing up with an organization and getting clearances to help run errands, make deliveries or help run events.
Dennis Smiddle – Executive Director of FANS 4 HELP ( a new 2020 nonprofit).